Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Looking at Art with Indifference

The positive definition of Indifference is an impartial, unbiased view of something.

This post refers back to the page I wrote on painting like the Masters, etc.. In that post, I compared Jill's techniques and skill to a couple of famous artists to demonstrate that creative and high quality art is produced today. Of course, my post has prejudice.

Below are two paintings, one is Jill's and the other a well-known artist. Select which one belongs to Jill and the undisclosed artist and then look below for the answer.




 Jill's is on the left and on the right is Monet's "Flowers in a Pot." I hope you are surprised, or if you selected the correct order then I hope you are still surprised at how much on par the two works are. For reference, I pulled the image today from the WikiArt website: http://uploads6.wikiart.org/images/claude-monet/flowers-in-a-pot.jpg!HD.jpg.

Now, if possible, open your mind and be indifferent to the fact that Jill's painting is not a noted masterpiece. Does it seem like it should? I expect someday it will. Perhaps that is how we should approach all art. Before making a decision, identify prejudices and try to look with fresh eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment